[RC] LD Ideas - appleg8

Ranelle,

Although my original post was not about changing things around, nor was it for "stricter" rules as one poster seemed to assume, it was to get the rules that are currently in place STANDARDIZED and if one will look up the word in the dictionary you will see the difference in Standard vs Strict, I LOVE your idea of putting on a ride form about first time ride and if they want a mentor.

After the fiasco we just had at Limestone Challenge with a newbie ditching his horse because he was "mad" at it, this rider certainly could have used a mentor to teach him about this sport as he rode along since his Mentor at home never seemed to instruct him properly in the ways of endurance.

In the NW region we are getting more and more "TEN MILE FUN RIDES" with each event. This is very much like what you and Diane are mentioning here. It is not for anything more than to teach newbies about the sport. They are "vetted" by experienced riders and given a token award for coming out, they get to see the longer distance riders and what it is all about. I like this ten mile business and the riders that attend also seem to enjoy it.

I would just like AERC to clarify in the rules that ride managers send in finish times for LD riders. That on the AERC board it is noted what the riders times are, not a "completed, finished or each rider did the ride in four hours" Does this mean I want stricter rules? I think not.

And to those that say watch what you wish for. I m sorry, I must have lost the rest of my pea brain. You mentioned Dave Nicholson's ride, the Biltmore and hmmm, maybe one other and of course Truman was good to mention THE TEVIS as not having LD rides. I always seemed to think in my naiveté that TEVIS was a ride in its very own class.

Gee, so for these FEW events that you are being Chicken Little about we all now are going to be "watching out" that LD rides throughout the US are going to go by the wayside??

Why is it on this forum one cannot make a suggestion without some people having to make such a fuss about things?

Is it asking too much for Ride Managers to post finish times for LD riders? I don't know of any LD riders I have talked to that don't want to know what their finish time is. This is all I am asking for, I don't care if RM bend THEIR rules over what to fix for breakfast or dinner or other sundry things, but when I want to know my ride time, which every other distance gets to know, why can't the LD riders have the same privilege?? Huh?

Now y'all have at it...and I know you will. I'm done.
amber
g8nfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com