[RC] Confining horses at rides - Barbara McCrary

To all who have posted on this subject:

We have used heavy galvanized livestock panels for years.  Yes, they are a bear to take down and put up...it takes two of us.  BUT, they are very safe.  We put no more than two horses in a 12' X 24' corral using four panels and the side of our 20' gooseneck livestock trailer.  If our horses had not been in this confinement when a bunch of wild burros came off the desert at the Death Valley ride many years ago, they would still be out there somewhere.  The horses freaked, bounced off the trailer wall and the corral panels, and stayed where they were supposed to be.  We did have to pack up and move 50 miles away in the middle of the night in order to find some peace and quiet.  The burros weren't going away, but we didn't lose our horses.  I have never tried a Hi-Tie.  They look great, but what happens if a horse freaks out like in our experience?  Or what happens if you have a horse that pulls back really hard?  Can they break or pull off the trailer?  (We had a horse once who would pull back, almost sit down and would not quit until something broke.)

I agree with Heidi Smith, who being a rancher, knows what it takes to confine cattle who are a lot less sensitive to confinement than horses.  The term "bulling your way through something" must have been coined by a cattleman.

Barbara