[RC] [RC] National Animal Identification System - Sherman

No, not according to the government WNV websites, an infected horse brought into an area does not present any threat as the mosquito can only acquire WNV from an infected bird, not from any other infected animal. The mosquito cannot spread the disease from horse to horse, horse to person, or person to person. it must be from bird to mosquito, then to other animal. Refer to  http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/ah/wnv_info2.htm (:>)

Kathy

Yes, WNV is not a contagious disease, but it is a communicable disease that, if a horse was infected with it, would present a risk to humans. If I lived in an area that had no evidence of WNV and someone brought a horse in known to have WNV, for sure I'd be a little concerned about becoming infected. Since we were discussing reasons for NAIS, vector driven diseases could be pertinent to that issue.