Re: [RC] [RC] National Animal Identification System - Sky Ranch

I did think of VS after I sent the message.  The research I've read is that
insects are the vector, and VS is extremely contagious.  There are outbreaks
(mostly in the western US) every 10 yrs or so, from what I've read.  We did
have a few cases in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico last year, but it didn't
spread much, thankfully.  I don't know of any human cases of it.  Mostly
horses and cattle, and counties can be quarantined when it's active.

But as far as the others, you mention West Nile.  WNV cannot be passed horse
to horse, OR horse to human.  Mosquitos and birds are required as the
vectors, or "go betweens" -- if a mosquito bites a WNV infected horse and
then bites another horse, or human, the "uninfected" horse or human will not
contract WNV.  Has to be passed through a bird.  So horses are not
considered "carriers" of West Nile virus, and they aren't quarantined.  Wild
birds are the ones that spread this disease.

Yes, rabies can be transmitted - but that's true of ANY mammal.  Has there
ever been a case of rabies transmission from horse to human?  Most common
animals infected with rabies (at least in the US) - skunks, and raccoons.
Dogs and cats are in more intimate contact with humans and it's easier for
them to transmit to humans through bites or scratches.

As for giardia and salmonella, I'd think that the risk from a horse to pass
these conditions is again, really really low.  Deer, elk, llamas, poultry,
even dogs -- they're a much higher risk to humans for those two.

Staph?  Staph bacteria is everywhere, in the soil, for example.  These days,
I think you're more likely to get a staph infection from being a patient in
the hospital than from having horses.

Ringworm?  Again, in the soil.  Never have had fungus problems with my
horses.  Most common in cats, and besides it's pretty easily treated.

Lepto?  Don't know about that, I know that dogs can get that bacterial
infection, so again, I'd say dogs would be a more common source, but I don't
know - I'm not a veterinarian.

Encephalitis - I'm not sure about that one, I'll admit -- I do think it can
be transmitted to humans through mosquitos.  It was a very serious disease
before the vaccines were developed, do you know how many humans contracted
it through contact with horses?  I know a lot of horses did die from this in
a fairly widespread epidemic.

These are just my rambling thoughts on diseases -- and again, I'm not a
veterinarian or trying to pretend to be one! -- but it's why I don't worry
about catching any diseases from my horses.

Carla Richardson
Colorado