[RC] National Animal Identification System - Marijane Boomer

Hi folks,

I'm a very regular lurker in this group, working
toward actually appearing at rides in Michigan this
year with my daughter, first as helpers, then
hopefully as a riders.

Raven posted a link a few days ago about the National
Animal Identification System that is already in the
process of being implimented in some states; I was a
bit surprised to see no responses to this, but I know
that there are many, many people that have not even
heard of this yet. I won't go into it in detail, but
it will certainly affect each and every one of us
(both as horse owners and in our lives in general,as
this affects all other livestock also) if it plays out
as the plan is now written.  Imagine having to notify
Uncle Sam within 24 hours EACH TIME we take our
(microchipped) horses off our own (registered, GPS'd)
property, and you get the idea. This is slated to be
mandatory in 2009 on a federal level, but some states
are getting it going faster.

Please take a little time to educate yourselves on
this, to be able to at least spread the word. Most of
you are probably more computer savvy than I, but if
you do a search for "Mary Zanoni NAIS", you'll be well
on your way to learning about this from a woman well
versed on the topic.

Thanks, and I hope to meet some of you in person later
this spring.

Marijane Boomer

http://mail.yahoo.com