Re: [RC] Some tough questions for those that sell the Boots.. - Laney Humphrey

Hi Laura,
I'll take a shot at answering even though I'm not a boot manufacturer. Actually you never state what you are concerned about or what you discussed with your farriers and vets so I don't see how your questions 1-5 can be answered without knowing what you want to know about. I was married to a medical researcher who spent most of his time writing grant proposals and keeping his fingers crossed that he would get funding so I know that research is expensive. Funders want to know that the results are going to benefit a significant number of people/horses/etc. Of course we endurance folk think we are the center of the universe and that everyone cares as much about our horses as we do, but in reality we are pretty small potatoes so I doubt that anyone has seen fit to cough up money for a comparative study of the effects of hoof boots on various breeds and their way of going.
As for the design of various boots, the uses they are intended for and how they fit, there is lots of great information on their websites. From my own, one horse, experience, horses adapt to wearing boots but it may take certain horses a bit longer than others for a variety of reasons.
Here is the link to Easycare, Inc., the manufacturer of quite a few different hoof boots. The website has an amazing amount of fascinating information.
http://www.easycareinc.com/Default.aspx

I can assure you that the customer service people are really helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. They can help you decide which boot is likely to best meet your needs. In my one horse experiment, I have learned that getting the right boot and the right fit is a process and may take quite a bit of time (& probably a bit of moola too). The process isn't as bad as The Great Saddle Hunt but is similar. Assessing how well a saddle fits can take weeks or even months; taking a horse barefoot and then getting the right boot and getting it to fit right can take that long too as the hooves grow and change shape.

I hope this helps,
Laney
Spottedracer@xxxxxx wrote:
I've just gotten off the phone. After discussing this issue with the two farriers I use (one with 40+ years experience w/flatshod gaited horses, the other with 20 years experience w/flatshod gaited horses.. Both also shoe many different types of 'working' trotting breeds..) As well as the four veterinarians at the large clinic I use... I've got a bunch of tough questions for you all to answer:

1. Has a scientific study/comparison been done, by a non-biased association? (Consumer Reports or a University that does NOT receive any funding by those manufacturers/retailers involved)
2. If so, how many horses were involved? What disciplens? What speeds? What distances?
3. If so, were any gaited breeds represented in the study?
4. If so, WHICH gaited breeds were represented in the study?
5. Of these gaited breeds that were represented, what actual gaits did these individual gaited horses use?
6. How much 'slippage' of the hind hooves do your boots allow?
7. Does your manufacturer offer boots with 'custom re-enforcement' for various stress bearing regions that differ depending on type of gait that individual horses use -or- is it a 'one type fits all'?
8. Does your manufacturer offer boots specifically made for gaited horses?

These questions are of EXTREME importance to those of us who ride gaited breeds. When you compare the wear pattern on the shoes of a Peruvian, TWH, Racking horse, Fino, Icelandic, Single-footer, Standardbred, etc; one thing becomes very CLEAR. Each breed and gait puts a much different torque and stress load pattern on their hooves and joints. Each breed and gait requires slightly different trimming and shoeing techniques in order to optimize gait and maintain soundness. And none of the gaited breeds puts the same stress load pattern on shoes like a trotting breed does.

Thanks for your answers!

- Laura P.