Re: [RC] Some tough questions for those that sell the Boots.. - Truman Prevatt

I've owned several horses (and ponies) since I was 4 years old and sure ain't telling you how old I am and if Jody chirps in here I'll see her next week and there will be no Wild Turkey for her ;-) .

There is no one type of shoe that will suite every horse's conformation - why should one boot work for all? That's why there are so many shoes on the market. There are shoes of Aluminum and steel. There are bar shoes. There are shoes flatten at the toe (NBS) or the farrier can make them. The farrier can make the shoes wider or more narrow.

They all have their use - depending on the horse. I think boots will not be a viable solution for everyone and probably only a small portion of endurance riders because they pretty much come in one shape and one shape doesn't fit all.

As far as gait the extreme excess weight can cause issues but I don't think it's a problem with the weights of the boots out today - even over steel shoes. The only issue that might arise is causing an extended lever arm on the foot that could impact the breakover. That will vary with horse to horse.

For a "gaited horse" I have found trimming hoof and fitting the shoe (and I suppose boot) for the conformation is no different independent if the gait of the "gaited horse" is a trot, running walk, fox tort, etc. BTW I have ridden endurance on both gaited horses (walking horses) and trotting horses (dead brain Arabs) and they were all shod to their conformation and they all did well shod to their conformation.

Truman

--

“You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.” Malcolm X