[RC] ot e-coli for Mike Sherrell - oddfarm

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Sherrell [mailto:mikeold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:47 AM
To: Jean; mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: E coli in horse manure?

Dr. Cliver,

I believe you are the professor quoted in Sunday's New York Times on the
contamination of greens with E. Coli via animal waste. Could you tell me if
horse manure is likely to be a dangerous carrier of E. coli?

Mike, the outbreak of e. coli on spinach and other plants more than likely didn't come from animal waste according to a man who called into a radio show yesterday.

I didn't catch his name but he said he owned over 40 companies/plants worldwide and was in the agriculture business of growing crops. He said that we do grow a lot of our own spinach here in the US and it is pretty safe. If it is organic, he said chances are it is squeaky clean as being able to get an "organic" label is a tedious process and must be approved by the USDA.

He also said chances are that the vegetables that are tainted more than likely came from *south of the boarder* and here is the problem with that. It is not that they use chicken, cow or horse manure for fertilizer, but rather water their crops using local rivers and lakes which is where the majority of their raw sewage is dumped. That makes more sense to me.

He sounded like a pretty smart guy so since you were wondering I thought I would pass this tidbit of info along.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf Arm