RE: [RC] With appreciation to the generous response on club-footed information - heidi

If there is a hereditary pattern to it, I get the impression from geneticists that it is something that has not been defined.  I don't have any "stats" but my impression clinically is that it is primarily a husbandry issue rather than a genetic issue.  The "lines" that seem to get it most are also the lines that are primarily managed as show horses--hence the mares are fed like show horses even when pregnant, and the horses tend to be housed in small areas.  And nutrition and confinement seem to be the two biggies in terms of risk factors.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the problem is seen in BLM mustangs that are raised in holding pens, even though there is no evidence of it in feral herds--but when fed "better" and confined, cases are seen.

My gut feeling is that the problem is not genetic per se--but that it can be greatly exacerbated by some things that ARE genetic, primarily the gawdawful long cannons and pasterns that have become "popular" in the breed of late as the craze to breed Arabians outside their normal height range has gone into high gear.  (My advice to folks who have the psychological "need" to ride taller horses is to get a partbred....)  One DOES see the problem more frequently with the out-of-proportion long cannons, and that makes sense, since it changes the dynamics of how the tendons and ligaments exert forces on the coffin bone.

It would also appear that deficiencies/imbalances in minerals could also play a role.

So, as a recipe for how to "get" high-low (or actual club feet), start with modern show-body-style horses (of ANY bloodline), feed them like fat stock to achieve rapid growth, and keep them up in small pens.  And sometimes any one of those aspects will suffice.  Just my nickel's worth from what I've seen of it.

Heidi

I was asked in one private posting about the possible increase in club-footed  syndrome (not high/low) and in another from one very sad owner of a suckling club-footed baby about lines that carry this genetic predisposition (for choosing breeding partners).  If this thread hasn't been beat to death, perhaps if any of you have hard data you could share that too.  The "strains that carry genetic predisposition" could get political, and I don't want to start a war--but for the amateurs out there like me this kind of information could go a long way toward saving anguish and contribute toward making sound breeding decisions.  Just how does one determine if there is club-footed syndrome in the genes -- ?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=