RE: [RC] club foot vs hi/low syndrome, grazer toe - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/OM

Now my young mare if left barefoot has grazer toe.  That can be trimmed out and managed by shoeing and doesn't seem to effect her way of going.  This is from being so short necked (I bred for longer than mom's to a stallion with a nice loooong neck and got 'a head glued on at the shoulder')  She always puts the left foot back to graze and if not shod the hoof gets a dip in the front and really starts to looked clubbed.  If you've ever ridden a horse that bows that's what it feels like in the saddle if I can't find tall grass or deep water on the trail, when I let her graze or drink.  Being so all over close coupled she can turn on a dime.  And has that 5mph walk?

From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:53 AM
To: Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
Cc: 'Kearby,Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/OM'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] club foot vs hi/low syndrome

Having legs longer than what fits the body constitutes faulty and unbalanced conformation--whether it is an Arab or any other breed.  Sadly, it is getting to be more and more common in Arabs.

However, that isn't the usual cause of high-low syndrome--most common cause is confinement combined with lack of regular trimming.  You can induce high-low syndrome in mustangs by raising them in close confinement and not trimming them regularly, even if it wasn't present in their feral herds.

Heidi

Well, my farrier says all Arabians have a "club" foot because their legs are so often longer in relationship to their bodies compared to many other breeds.  Not so sure she really means club but maybe more High/low syndrome.  Not even sure I buy into her thinking but she does a great job shoeing...

Jannelle