RE: [RC] switching to bit - Lysane Cree

Aaaah, I need to get back on the digest. These individual emails get confusing in the "replies". Sorry for the individual emails I sent out when I thought I was replying to the person who asked the question.

So this is my reply below!

Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:57:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] switching to bit
To: Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx>

I started my sensitive mare with a three piece snaffle - I bought it at Stateline Tack, I can't seem to find the exact bit on there website, but if you look at the JP Hunter Dee Bit with Oval Mouth, that is about as close to it as possible, except that mine has o-rings, rather than d-rings. The middle piece is oval shaped and solid and the side pieces that go over the bars are curved. The whole thing follows the shape of the mouth and I found my mare accepted it very easily.
I have always found that I had enough control out on the trail and away from home, although I did a lot of "homework" too before taking her out - exposing her to new things and "testing" her response. She's only 4 1/2, but I have never felt the need to go to something stronger because of a alck of control. In fact I like the three pieces because if she is getting strong I just need to wiggle the reins, back and forth, and she comes back. She hates a steady pull and will fight it, so I find my hands are active doing these little give and takes and wiggles. We completed our first 25 CTR a few weeks ago and she was quite strong for most of the ride, but this bit was enough to keep her in check when necessary.
Hope that helps

Lysane