RE: Re: [RC] Club foot - heidi

If I'm remembering correctly RC Muffin had a club foot. He was a tremendous
horse and I believe is in the AERC Hall of Fame. I was at the ROC one year
when he came in first. All the way through the ride the vets had noticed his
"funny" gait caused by his club foot. The final vet at the post ride check
chose to say it was lameness, and he was pulled. It was absolutely heart
breaking.

I really hate to see this sort of misinformation continue to be perpetuated
about RT Muffin.  He had high-low syndrome, not a club foot--and it was well
under control with good farrier work (by Darla's husband Terry).

His odd gait did not come from his high-low syndrome--he was gaited and would
"trot" in-hand with a perfectly symmetrical 4-beat gait.  He got THAT from
having two gaited grandsires.  Gaitedness can and does occur in Arabians.

I had an extensive discussion with Kerry Ridgway about RT Muffin's ROC pull at
the finish when Kerry and I were vetting another ride together about a year
later.  Muffy was at that ride as well.  Terry took Muffy straight to Kerry at
the vet-in, figuring he'd just take the bull by the horns and go right to one
of the vets who thought Muffy was "lame."  Kerry stated that Muffy was
"bilaterally grade II lame on both front feet."  Carol Mylius (the third ride
vet) and I both took Kerry aside and insisted on having him watch Muffy move
again, pointing out his gaitedness, and that we did not penalize the TWHs and
other gaited horses at the ride for not having a 4-beat trot.  Kerry's response
was, "But Arabs are not gaited!"  By the end of that ride, Kerry had come
around to realizing that what we said was true--he took more time to analyze
the "head bob" to see that the head was descending when the forefeet hit, not
ascending, and also took the time to listen to the gaitedness in the history of
the Arabian breed.  By the end of that rid
e, Kerry, at least, realized that Muffy had been really "done wrong" in that
pull.

But I'm really sorry to see that the "club foot" myth about Muffy is still in
circulation.

Heidi