[RC] club foot - Kathie Ford

I have two horses out of 10 that both have a club foot. One also with H/L.  But, never had a problem with soundness due to this.  One is very very nice dressage horse (my first horse I adopted and my daughter "stole" from me! lol), and the other an arab mare.  She's very tough.  Her club is very slight and she ever so slightly toes in a little bit. Has no bearing whatsoever on her athletic ability or her soundness. She's been barefoot for 2 years as well. Very tough hard feet.  She's had shoes on in the past but I've found she really doesn't need them unless she gets into doing miles and miles.  She is one of my project mares.  So that will come in time.

Anyway I had an old great farrier years ago who told me that it wasn't good to really correct these issues as that would cause problems in itself.  He felt that these horses had adjusted for these faults over the years in growing.  So therefore, he just shod or trimmed them accordingly and as balanced as possible.  It worked.

My big mare has had no problems with her soundness (with the exception of injuries due to cuts; while not being ridden I might add....go figure)..and the arab mare not a one.

So far with horses that I've seen anyway, very very few have even close to perfect conformation.  With feet or body. I've also found that some faults actually can actually be of benefit.  So I don't worry about it so much.

JMHO and experiences thus far is all.

Just go ride your horse and have fun!  Enjoy them for what they can do and don't worry so much of what they can't.  They are supposed to be fun!!

kathie