RE: [RC] Trail fees illegal? - Jim Holland

Actually, there was quite a bit more to it than just winning a comment
period.

You can read BCHA's statement here: (About the middle of the page)

http://www.sabch.org/Hot%20Items.htm

In order to understand you have to go back and look at the trail
specifications BEFORE TCS. The TCS changed the "definition" of how trails
were actually built and maintained. BCHA was concerned about back country
trails with regard to the TCS.  For example, under TCS, some "secondary"
trails which were used by horses would no longer be maintained at a width
(full bench) that would accommodate pack stock.  That effectively means the
trail would have only a narrow "foot tread" bench, which makes them
"unsuitable" (dangerous) for horses and pack stock, thus effectively
removing them as horse trails for all but the most experienced packer. In
addition, there would be no public input or comment period on the
RECLASSIFICATION OF A SPECIFIC TRAIL under the TCS. The FS can still
reclassify a trail under the TCS now...but they must solicit public comment
on the impact of doing do.  There were other issues as well.

BCHA tried unsuccessfully to arbitrate this unsuccessfully.  I think their
actions were entirely appropriate. Litigation is a last resort. BCHA is a
service organization that would much rather work WITH land mangers to the
benefit of all.  Appeals and litigation are a last resort.  However, knowing
that there are organizations like BCHA that will take whatever action
necessary to protect our right to ride public lands in many cases prevents
that from becoming necessary. One of the reasons we have a strong military
is to keep us from having to use it, i.e..."Walk softly, but carry a big
stick". At least it's supposed to work that way.  Here lately, I think we
have forgotten the first part of that.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm