Re: [RC] Trail fees illegal? - Sisu West Ranch

Jim:
You are very likely right about this legislation.

I am glad that most folk seem to favor user fees if and only if the monies collected don't dissappear into the general fund.

I am currently a member of a local BCH chapter. While in general this organization is a worthy cause for all outdoor horsemen, it can sometimes jump to conclusions.

Last spring the BCH filed a lawsuit against the FS relating to a new trail classification system. This lawsuit cost the BCHA approximately $70,000. The result was a comment period on the classification system.

During the comment period I carefully read the document. The BCHA actually wasted a bunch of their and taxpayer's money. Apparently, somebody in the BCH thought that the FS was going to let motorized vehicles on all or more trails. If you read the document carefully, not one trail was actually classified by the document. It was just a different way of setting up the trail classification system.

I could quibble with a bit of the wording, but the new classification system is actually quite comprehensive, and neutral in respect to special interest groups.. Everyone would have been better served by ignoring this and spending time and money when forest plans and forest travel plans come up for renewal.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875