[RC] Update on stumbling horse - EPM - heidi larson

I don't remember all the details, but..........I have a friend whose QH mare had some stumbling problems a few years ago, diagnosed via
spinal tap as EPM positive.  Ended up doing the expensive oral treatment (horse was insured) and the mare just
didn't seem to improve.  Took her to OSU (in Oregon) and had some expensive diagnostics
done, including some nuclear test/radiography and she was found to have a tiny bone chip in
her stifle along with premature arthritis from being started in reining too young.  The
staff at OSU said there are alot of positives in the EPM testing and that most horses will
test positive, even showing no clinical symptoms and never developing problems.  Not to
say your horse doesn't have it, but just a story I'm aware of!

  heidi

Do you Yahoo!?