FW: [RC] ok, TAX bad word - karen coombes

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: karen coombes [mailto:
karen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:
Monday, September 11, 2006 4:36 PM
To: 'ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [RC] ok, TAX bad word

I have known several breeders over the years.  Over-breeding of horses is definitely an issue.  The irresponsible parties in my mind are those who breed because -  1. they think little baby horses are just so cute!!, 2. they haven’t done their homework and think they are going to get rich doing it, 3. they want a baby out of ‘this’ horse or ‘that’ horse, and 4. they just don’t manage their herds and before they know it 13 or 14 horses is 27 or 28 horses.  Of all the breeders I have known none have made money – one is getting close to break-even which is cause for elation (that is,,, providing all this year’s breedings took, all foals are born alive and healthy and none of the mares have any problems).  One situation I saw is where the breeder became, in my opinion, over zealous.  She now has more babies than she has the time to train, and doesn’t have the money to pay for a trainer.  Soon she’ll have a field full of 4,5 and 6 year olds with little handling, no training, and probably a slim chance of being sold.  It is too easy to get so dangerously close to the edge.  One bad year for hay (like here in TX where the draught has drove hay prices sky high) could be disastrous.  Either take out a 2nd mortgage to buy hay, sell the horses for next-to-nothing, or just wait til the rescue people come because your horses are so emaciated.  There is no way to legislate responsibility, or common sense, unfortunately.  Taxes and fees won’t fix it.