RE: [RC] [RC] Horse Slaughter - Jennifer Adam

I'm sorry - I was not assigning blame to any responsible, respectable breeder because I *know* that these breeders care deeply about their horses and are very interested in seeing them go to good homes. I was referring to a certain variety of backyard breeder who thinks they can make a quick fortune by breeding their old mare to the neighbor's grumpy stud. They raise a foal that no one is all that interested in buying, but for some reason decide that maybe next time they'll produce a foal worth big bucks...and so on. I happen to know several like this... Nice people, don't get me wrong, but they don't bat an eyelash when that baby they raised ends up sold for $60 to the man with the long stock trailer...

And in any case, I agree that horse slaughter - while not something I would subject my horses to - may be a necessary evil.

Hope I didn't offend any of you wonderful, good-hearted, knowledgeable breeders. I certainly didn't intend to!

Jen Adam

>>However, I do agree that the horse slaughter issue has come about because of a surplus of horses and a lack of capable owners. I think breeders are responsible - as are backyard horse owners who buy horses before calculating all the costs associated with long-term lifetime care for that animal.>>

BULLPUCKEY! Horse slaughter has NEVER been soley due to lack of capable owners! Nor is it the fault of breeders. As far as I know, most breeder's goals is to sale their horses at a profit - not to go directly to the kill barn!

Check the weather nationwide with MSN Search: Try it now! http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=weather&FORM=WLMTAG