Re: [RC] Horse Slaughter Exemption is NOT Good News - Lucinda Carpe

I agree...I have reported horse neglect to no avail in my county...unwanted horses are a fact of life. Not everyone has the skill or the $$$ to properly care for these animals.
As sad as it is, horse slaughter has its place. Some horses are so badly spoiled, conformed, abused they may be beyond hope.
I have many times been to the horse rescue sites and read the ads for some pathetic animal that still has negligible value. That is fine if you have the funds to feed, house, and give the farriery and vet care necessary to maintain a horse properly....and to one that will never be completely sound mentally or physically.
I always say that nobody gets a break on board, farriery, veterinary, etc etc because a horse is unfit or unsound...it costs the same and it aint cheap!!!!
It is awful to slaughter these lovely animals...but it should be a constant reminder to the backyard breeders and to even the professional ones to consider the outcome of the animal before they even begin...Also, to consider the home the animal will be going to. You can take a good horse and ruin it quickly...

Lucinda

"Smith, Dave" <dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Julie, Heidi - I can't agree with you more.  If passed, this law would have the unintended consequence of causing even more equine misery nationwide than currently exists.  Under current law, the few U.S.
rendering plants now used for horse slaughter are required to painlessly kill the horses brought to them.  If horse slaughter for food is outlawed in the U.S., the horses will simply be taken outside the country to either Canada or Mexico where euthanasia laws may or may not exist.  How may unwanted horses have you seen, half-starved, their ribs showing, scratching the patch of muddy, denuded ground on which they are held prisoner?  If this law passes, expect to see more of that. Don't be fooled, the politicians backing this measure could care less about the horses they're purporting to "save", and more about the votes they expect to harvest from this ill-thought-out measure.  I plan to write my Congressman, all right - in opposition to the bill!

<\___~
  //   \\