[RC] Update on Tank - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

Well, the vets at Davis have humored me and given me a prescription for Marquis, which I purchased, but have not given yet. They don't think he has EPM. Somehow, really, neither do I. But I'm probably going to give it to him anyway.

In the meantime, my stallion Sorcerer, has presented me with the same problem on a training ride last week. Excessive amounts of drinking followed by a bout with heavy panting. When I first started endurance, I had a horse who presented me with the panting thing, but that I recall, we didn't stop at the water trough so I have no idea on the drinking thing. I don't have that horse anymore because I thought she didn't like endurance. I had totally forgotten about that horse until after Tank visited Davis the first time.

So that started me thinking it could be environmental. I have been ignoring my neighbor's 20-ft tall Oleander bushes because I can do nothing about them. I can't even trim them without getting in trouble. The horses were 12 ft. away from them. As of this last 3-day weekend, they are all now moved to the other side of my one-acre parcel after many hours of fence moving. The only one that was not moved over was Tank, who has been moved 20 more feet away. I really want him to still have access to his stall. We will be putting up a 6 ft. tall solid wall as his fence on the Olenader side of the property. I've been watching the ground for the last 5 days to see if any Oleander leaves or flowers have fallen in entire corral where the horses were and not one ANYTHING is there, although there are lots outside the chain length fence in the driveway between the bushes and the corrals. I'm sure that they've been getting through, but it's obviously very sparingly. But I've been told one leaf can kill a horse. I really want to move Tank to the other side too, but I am just plain out of room. He is anti-social and I can't put him in with the rest of the horses. I'm hoping the extra 20 feet and the solid wall will be enough. In the reading I've been doing this last week, Oleanders are horrible stuff. I knew they were bad, but I just didn't realize HOW bad. I am feeling pretty low for not having realized it.

I am also going to have my water checked. I've also sent away hair samples for deficiencies, etc. And all my horses are on a de-toxifier, hoping that if they do have some poisons in their systems, it will clear them out.

Davis doesn't seem to think that two of my horses could have been affected by EPM. I'm not sure why it's not possible for two horses on the same property to have contracted it. Of course, neither presents the common symptoms. Three days ago I scooped what appeared to be either racoon or oppossum droppings out of Sorce's feeder. After all, we live in the country ... no way to stop them.

I also have a new saddle on order. No, that doesn't have anything to do with the drinking and panting, but it might have to do with why Tank doesn't like to go downhill. I just have been very reluctant to give up my current saddle, which I, myself, LOVE to death.

Anyway, I haven't had any spare time to ride lately anyway, but I sure do miss it. Wish me luck in getting back into the swing of things, soon!

I am very happy to say that Angie McGhee's book went to the printer THIS MORNING!!!  She and I are both glad it's done and I, for one, can't wait until you all see it. Darn, that girl is FUNNY!!! If you would like the address to her website to order a copy, email and I'll send it to you. It will ship mid-October.

:) Jackie