[RC] Namibia - last night - steph teeter

Tomorrow I'll get a ride into Gobabis (also known as 'little texas') with Jan Pienaas since he's headed that way to look at a bulldozer, then catch a ride from Gobabis to Windhoek (capital of Namibia) with Linki de Witt since she's headed that way to take her kids to the dentist, spend an hour or so at the local market in Windhoek (where I will refrain from buying any of the wonderful african art since I can only carry 20kg of luggage on the flight back to Paris), then Mike will take me to the airport, I'll fly to Capetown, where I'll be picked up and spend the night with (?? can't remember her name at the moment - will know by tomorrow night), and then off to Saldanha bay for the next event.

Namibia has been fantastic, the people wonderful, the land beautiful, the politics complicated and a little tragic... I'll write more on my impressions when I get time. But I highly recommend Namibia as a place to see - before things change too much, if they do - time will tell. Great natural beauty, a very old fashioned feel - about 10 years behind the rest of the world. There's a real charm to this place. I hope very much to get back here next year. Sue and Dennis Summers are planning a trip in March (Jan and Johana's son Stefanus has been riding with them this summer in the US) - there's an FEI CEI*** ride the end of the month, maybe we can field an American team! (I bet I can talk the Rojeks into it too :) I've heard that March and April are the most beautiful, green from the summer rains, not too hot... we'll see, it's at the top of my list, insh'allah...

later -

Steph