[RC] help with trail shy gelding - Amy Major

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice.  I have a gelding that use to do endurance, was retired for a while, but now I want to do an LD with him.  He has the experience, I don't so logically he would be a great horse to start with.

One problem is that when alone, he is either refusing to go on trail or spooks left and right (I think it is a trick to get me to give up).  We spent a few weeks re-establishing respect and are still working on that.  I know that I need to make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard but I don't know where to start.

Has anyone had this problem and can anyone give me some advice.  I have the Anderson stuff and do some of the Parelli stuff.  Is there anything else I can do?