Re: [RC] [QSEndurance] Update on Tank - Diane Trefethen

TypeF (Jackie Floyd) wrote:
So that started me thinking it could be environmental. I have been ignoring my neighbor's 20-ft tall Oleander bushes because I can do nothing about them. I can't even trim them without getting in trouble.
... We will be putting up a 6 ft. tall solid wall
Six feet won't stop the flowers and leaves from a twenty foot tall Oleander.

I've been told one leaf can kill a horse.
The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture says an ounce of leaves but Purdue University says a quarter of a pound. The effects are not cumulative and irreversible like with Star Thistle. So that, plus the extremely low doses, may be why the horses are getting sick instead of dying suddenly and without warning.

Oleander IS fatally toxic in the right doseages. I hope your ag dept can help you to "assist" this neighbor in removing, or at least reducing to (and keeping at) under 5' the plants in question.

I would ask Davis if Oleander poisoning is detectable by test and if so for how long after ingestion. If yes, and still within the time limit, conduct the tests on both horses, though my guess is that it's probably too late. Still, a positive test would be an excellent tool with which to threaten a lawsuit. It's one thing to grow your own yew hedge around your porch, quite another to put it between your property and a school yard.