[RC] Some results from Northwind Challenge FEI 100 and Update on Allegany Shut Up and Ride (NE) - Patty Stedman

Just got back from L'Ange Gardien, Quebec, Canada, where my wonderful guy, Ned, had a respectable finish in the 100 mile ride on Thursday, August 31st.  The trails were challenging, befitting the name, and there were amazing views of the Ottawa River, where we trotted by Scandinavian-esque homes, and had a gorgeous nighttime view of a white-lit shrine with a steeple, backlit by the last dying light of the beautiful day.  (Those silly folks who went faster missed that one!)

Was lapped by Stagg Newman and John Crandell on their second running of a repeat loop late in the ride, which made me laugh uproariously.  Hey, if you've got to be lapped at a ride, let it be by some of the best riders in the country, I guess!  :-)

Many thanks to the folks who put on the ride, the volunteers who stood at road crossings and tunnels and other various iffy spots on trail, including the local fire department, who I finally figured out spoke not a word of English.  And thanks to the Ontario Team pit crew who handed me the most delightful bunch of grapes at Mile 95 or so.  They hit the spot and it's the simple things that keep you going that late in the ride.  The fact that we were cheered in by a large and enthusiastic (perhaps fortified by Canadian beer methinks!) crowd at 2 a.m. only made the night more special!

In the end, Stagg won the ride and got Best Condition with Jayel Super.  John Crandell came in 2nd with a lovely buckskin Half Arab whose name escapes me at the moment.  Connie Walker's stallion got High Vet Score.  Other American Top Tenners included:  Jeannie Waldron, Wendy Bejarano, Patti Pizzo.  All Top Eight horses stood for BC the morning after the ride and boy, they looked great collectively!

Quick update on the Allegany Shut Up and Ride next weekend (September 9th) in SWNY -- we're booked to the hilt and think we've squeezed in just about everyone we can from the wait list.  Our camp size is limited, so it is always a bummer, but we have to limit our entries.  No "show ups", please.  Ernesto blessed us (?) with some rain but we've got some dry days ahead to get the trails back in good shape.

Patti Stedman
EarthLink Revolves Around You.