[RC] ARABIAN HALTER HORSE ABUSE - sherman

Hi Richard,

I’m very glad that you don’t use or condone whipping and that you don’t know many or anyone that does, but like you say it does still go on, maybe more in some areas than others, and likely behind closed stall doors. Now if only the judges would quit rewarding horses that look and act so excitable, and instead rewarded horses that looked like they’d be welcome “in your tent” possibly that would put an end to the practice completely. It sounds like you’re already winning that way, so keep up the good work.

Kathy

Richard wrote:

I have shown on the East, West and Gulf Coasts during this timeframe and have seen many changes take place during that timeframe. I am well versed on the past and current rulebooks as regards abuse, and I do manage to get around at the shows on the backside and don’t miss too much. When I am not in the ring, or back at the stalls, I am watching horses warm up and enter and then watch their classes. The incidents of abuse which I did see way back in the 80's has been curtailed to the point where I do not see much or any evidence of it in recent years. Does it happen, you bet, is it as rampant as the recent posters would lead you to believe, no way.

We show a yearling this year, Half Arabian, who is holding 4th place Halter ranking in the Nation. We show without a whip, stand him up stock horse style against some very spirited NSH type horses, and still manage to hold our own....He, like his older stable mate has in the past is leading R9 for HA of all ages. We have taken home 3 year end R9 HP Halter awards, which means we are out there campaigning. If I ever would personally see any abuse taking place, you would have to race me to the steward to see to it that it gets stopped on the spot.