Re: [RC] ARABIAN HALTER HORSE ABUSE - SandyDSA

In a message dated 8/26/2006 10:59:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, tiffshorse@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've watched girls beat their horses upon leaving the ring because their horse screwed up. How is it always the horse's fault and not the snobby brat of a rider?  Makes me want to throw up.
Worse still, I have seen ADULTS (yeah, right!) do this, some just slimy owners and one - a TRAINER! In the end, nothing has really changed in the 30 years we have been a part of AHRA, IAHA, AHA, USET and AHSA. We are still waiting to see any of these groups stand up for the Arabian - or ANY - horse. No one will, because their industry relies on membership and participation. If people don't go to the shows and events, they lose money. SO.....the Big Hairs who bring all these poor horses to the shows also provide income to the organizations. Man when I think of all the $$ we pay to be members of all this crap just to be able to do a ride or a B show and have it count....I am just more relieved we never wasted our money on Sweepstakes - in a club that by its own inaction CONDONES abuse. If they WANTED to stop it, or at least reduce it to less of a problem, they could. Ginger a tail? Out for 5 years. Sore a horse or stitch up his sheath? Ten years. Third offense of ANY KIND?? Done for life. AHA and other clubs mistakenly support the notion that people who do this stuff deserve another chance and/or wont' do it again. :) RIGHT! No rules will change things until the enforcement of the ones we HAVE are enforced. This is why we moved finally from Arabian shows to endurance and open B shows. I agree - when another rider went down a few years ago on the Pacific Crest Trail, aside from a handful of selfish people, MOST riders stopped and STAYED with this rider until she was air lifted off the mountain. Why? Because IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANY OF US - and because we cared. Too bad too many people dont' care that much for the horses they sit their soryr butts on.