Re: [RC] trotting - Chris Paus

Right now, depending on the temperature, we are going 4 to 6 miles per hour pretty consistently regardless of distance about one-third trotting and two-thirds walking.

That's about the pace I go, Robert and that's good enough to get you a finish. You'll be at the back of the pack, but you can finish.

As for posting, have YOU been to the chiro? When I'm off, I have a hard time posting.

And we all are naturally right legged or left legged just like being right or left handed. So each of us has a "diagonal" which we can post better than the other one. The diagonal is the horse's shoulder that moves out on your "up" beat. I have a screwed up SI joint and a tilted pelvis. It' s much easier for me to post the right diagonal than the left. In fact, if I try posting the left, my horse will throw me back to the right. It must be uncomfortable for him.

Most riders try to alternate diagonals every so often so you don't create a horse that is one sided. But those of us with handicaps, well, our ponies compensate for our shortcomings.

I'd say some lessons would help, especially some lunge line lessons. That's the best thing in the world for balance. once you can really feel the horse's rhythm, then it's not so hard to pick up the rising trot.

chris