[RC] trotting - Carolyn Burgess

I'm english trained so I always post to the trot.  I'm not sure why your horse doesn't like you posting, I'm going to guess that your not posting correctly or lightly.  It should not cause any discomfort when you post, it actually should make it easier for the horse to move out.

My first endurance horse did not have canter during the first 4 years I competed him (3 years CTR, 1 year endurance).  So I regularly posted 25 - 50 miles.  No problems for the horse.  A few lessons on posting might help.

Carolyn Burgess

Robert R <boxrnr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been working with my horse, trying to begin proper conditioning.  He has no problem with miles but does need a bit of encouragement to keep up his pace.  I just switched a couple weeks ago to an English saddle that fits him much more comfortably than my Western saddle and he is more willing to step out.  My question is, he really, really dislikes posting, at least with my body doing it.  Granted, I'm not an experienced poster and maybe we will get better.  When out on the trail, do most folks post or sit or use the 2-point?  He doesn't object at all to sitting although I don't think it would be feasible in the longer distances as he isn't all that smooth.  His preference is actually cantering but I have been trying to hold him back on higher speed and up the distances before we go to more speed work.  Right now, depending on the temperature, we are going 4 to 6 miles per hour pretty consistently regardless of distance about one-third trotting and two-thirds walking.

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net using SpamViper