[RC] HR - larry Miller

I ride both endurance and competitive with the same mare.  I condition the same, sprints, miles, run hills, whatever.  In the competitive game, Maggie recovers to 44 - 36 in 10 min and low respiration no problem.  In endurance, I pace just as fast ( 8 - 10 mph), walk into the vet check about a quarter of a mile, and in 2 min or less reach the required pulse of 64 or 60, whatever it is for the day.  I also did competitive and endurance with each of my other horses, geldings and mares with the same result.  I have won, I have lost, I have completed, I have pulled.  I just played the game for whatever I was riding that day.  I always felt that competitive was nothing but a slower paced endurance but in order to do well in either competive or endurance and do mulitple days, one has to condition the horse.
In Michigan the competitive pace is just about 7 mph.  I get great delight in doing the first loop at an endurance pace driving all the other comp riders nuts (why don't you do endurance, Jeanie?) and then at the vet check get that nice low pulse and barely breathing respiration.  I also get great delight on an LD or 50s when I did them, on walking a little bit or doing a slow trot into the vet check and calling for my horse's pulse in 2 minutes or less and passing the front runners.  Whatever one does, the conditioning has to be done, then just play the game.  Jeanie with an evil grin