Re: [RC] Ground Control - Dyane Smith

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dream Weaver" <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:57 AM
Subject: [RC] Ground Control

 The horse needs to have a good thick hoofwall that is not prone to flares.

I need to really check into that.

If you do use them, ask the farrier to file the sharp edge off of the
bottom edge.  I had horses hit themselves with the shoes just in the
trailer and draw blood.  Rounding the bottom edge helped with that a lot.

That's great advice.  If I do use them, I will certainly be careful with
that.

With young horses that hit themselves -- that may be because their
feet aren't really balanced but it could also be simply that they
just have not learned how to carry themselves well yet.  We used to
joke about Chief being "helicopter legs" because they were all over
the place.  That is where doing lessons and arena work can really
help, as it takes a long time to get a horse in shape and develop the
muscles and mental focus to be able to move the most efficiently for
extended periods.

His mental focus is not great.  He finds everything around him so
interesting, to some extent it's amazing he stays upright at all.

Did Chief have problems at the walk?  That is what amazes me about Akela.
When he is out in pasture, a mine field of it's own with ground squirrel and
rabbit holes, he never takes a bad step, at least when he's unshod.

Would you have used boots on Chief when he was starting out?

Dyane