RE: [RC] Easyboot questions - Karen Standefer

Hi, Lysane.

Anything you put on the hooves will change the way of going to some degree.  With shoes, they are worn 24x7 and the horse will adjust to them (most of the time).  With boots, they’re only worn a short time when conditioning or competing, so the horse has to try to adjust each time they’re applied.  And, there are so many variables that can affect how a horse will travel in boots (or shoes for that matter).

I have used boots this whole year to condition and compete.  But, I am having similar problems to you.  Part of the problem (my opinion) is that the boots add so much width and bulk to the hoof that it is difficult for some horses to adjust.   Also, if they have a different way of breaking over they may need to have the boot rasped to compliment their particular way of breaking over.  Until the boot is well worn in, it may be difficult for them to adjust to the boot forcing them to load and breakover in a dramatically different pattern.  I know that a lot of people will tell you that the boots have breakover built all the way around the boot, but it may still not be what your horse is accustomed to.   In addition, since there is no hind hoof patterned boot, I think it’s harder on some horses to adjust to the rounder front pattern when put on their hind hooves.   I was hoping that with more time in the boots (more miles and more conditioning) my horse would figure out how to handle himself with the boots on.  But, it’s not happening and after our training ride yesterday he has about 4 new marks on both his legs (we use 4 boots).

I have to say……..on my younger horse I have no problems with the boots.  I think some of it is the horse’s hoof conformation as well as their way of going.  The horse I have the boot troubles with is a big, powerful mover and has very forward growing hooves.  The horse that has no troubles prefers flatter trails,  doesn’t move nearly as big, has a steady 7 mph trot and has great, upright hooves.

I’ve talked with lots of people both at rides and on the trail.  What a lot of us are seeing is that many horses really, really need a hind pattern boot instead of putting the rounder, front pattern boots on the hind hooves.  I think this would help a lot of horses go better in boots.  For myself, it is looking like I’ll have to give up on boots on the one horse (my main horse) and go back to shoeing.

I’m sure you’ll get differing opinions from different people.  These are just my experiences and opinions on the subject.

On my last competition ride, I put interference boots on my horse and he was happy.  He would move out big again and galloped a lot more than he usually does when booted.  He is also gaited at the walk and wouldn’t gait until I put the interference boots on.  Since he’s not whacking himself hard enough to bruise anything, I think this will get us through a couple more rides.

Karen

When I trotted her out for the vet, she said my mare brings her hind legs inwards a little when she trots and it seemed it was the screws on the boots catching her fetlock. Do the boots change a horse's way of going? I guess if she is barefoot normally, she doesn't really have anything to catch herself with...

Lysane