[RC] Easyboot questions - Lysane Cree

Hi,

I have been using Easyboots at rides and occasionally at home if I need them. My mare does not have shoes on and has never interfered in front nor behind. Normally, I would use boots only in front. The last week and a half or so, I have been using Epics behind because my mare had a bit of thrush and part of the frog came off. The thrush is gone but i wanted to protect her frog area until it grows back in. I noticed a small mark on the inside of one of her hind legs but thought she might have caught herself on some branches we had to go through. This weekend at a training ride she had some noticeable marks on the inside of both hind fetlocks. When I trotted her out for the vet, she said my mare brings her hind legs inwards a little when she trots and it seemed it was the screws on the boots catching her fetlock. Do the boots change a horse's way of going? I guess if she is barefoot normally, she doesn't really have anything to catch herself with...

I also lost a front boot at one point - it was an Epic with the gaiter removed, but with a full heel strap and the teeth (teeth cover removed) and duct tape around the hoof. The regular cable setting (the wire passing up through the little metal thing in the middle) seemed too loose - so i changed it so that it looped around the metal thing (one of the tightest settings shown on the Easycare website. Then I couldn't get the buckle down even though I was stepping on it and having to hang onto my horse for balance. So rather than putting wire on the notch that is the furthest down towards the toe, I put it one notch up. Then the buckle went down with some resistance but it seemed too easily. Left it like that and lost it after about 10 miles or so. Would using a cotter pin end some of that struggle with trying to get the wire just right? Or is there a trick to getting the buckle to go down when it is tight? I don't want to break the buckle either.

Lysane