RE: [RC] how big will that baby be? Whats that string measurement? - Rae Callaway

The tricky part is making sure you start at the right spot at the knee.  That’s why I suggest trying it out on your adult horses.

Rae

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of agilbxr@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:51 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] how big will that baby be? Whats that string measurement?

I'm kind of hoping that it's not accurate. I measured Merlin the other day using that one, and he measured at 15.5 inches, or 15.2 hands full grown.  His mom is less than 14 hands, his dad is about 14 hands. I like short horses!!!  I was hoping for 14-14.2 or so... that's perfect.  I can get on that from the ground without my knees whining at me, and without having to find a log in the forest should I decide a potty break is in order.   I don't think a Paso/Arab cross should be over 15 hands!!!!

On the other hand, I could be wasting his talents as an endurance horse.  The little twerp was running around the pasture Saturday, playing little Arab, tail in the air, doing his floaty Arab trot, when he blasted at our 4 foot cross fence and jumped over it, just barely nicking it with a hind foot.  He's 11 months old.  So, if he gets too big, I can always sell him to someone who jumps.  I wonder if a jumper person would care about him being half Paso????  Anyway, needless to say, I spent Sunday raising the fence another foot to contain my  little leaper.

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (full Paso, he don't jump unless scared)

Merlin (WHEEE!!!  And don't let her fool you, she ain't going to sell me to anyone. I'm too cute)