RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] Follow up on "tying up" episode - heidi

I somehow missed Lee's post, but my goodness!

First off, daily requirement for selenium per day is 8-10 mg.  That requires an
average selenium content in the feed of about 0.9 to 1 ppm.  Per Oregon State
University, chronic toxicity requires about 60-90 mg per day--or a level in the
feed roughly twice the text being quoted below.

Second, normal selenium levels in blood are in the range of .200 ppm (or 200
ppb) up to about .250 ppm--so having .09 is VERY deficient.  NO, this level is
not normal for ANY horse.

Injecting anything (penicillin, vaccines, and yes, selenium) can potentially
kill your horse--the rate of anaphylactic reactions to E-Se is about 1 in
30,000, which is about the same as penicillin and most vaccines.  Short of
that, unless the horse has toxic levels (which this horse does NOT), E-Se may
well be the way to go.

In some horses with levels that low, you can supplement orally until you are
blue in the face and they don't seem to respond with increased levels.  But
give one E-Se injection to boost the level, and you can then often maintain
just fine with oral suppelementation.

I have yet to see a horse with selenium toxicity, although I have heard of
cases.  But I've seen literally thousands suffering from deficiency.  Lee has
done the right thing--get a test, know the level, and then supplement from
there.

If I had a horse with a level that low, I would inject E-Se without giving it a
second thought.  In fact, living in an area that is somewhat deficient, I
routinely inject broodmares at critical intervals (a month before foaling,
particularly) and foals at birth, as well as our endurance horses as an initial
boost before starting them on their oral supplementation each spring.  No need
to test here--we feed local hay, and I know it is somewhat deficient.  When I
lived in an even more deficient area, I injected much more often.

Heidi

Please don't even think about injecting your Buddy with Se (Selenium).  It
may kill him.  A quote from my ancient text:  "Selenium is essential for
domestic animals but the margin of safety is relatively narrow.   A low level
of Se is essential to prevent myopathies, liver injury and congenital
abnormalities in domestic and laboratory animals and poultry.  ........High
dietary Se is toxic to animals and a defined set of signs and lesions has
been established for acute and subacute exposure to toxic concentrations in
several species........The minimum dietary level of Se, which results in
accumulation in the tissues of animals and ultimately produces signs of
toxicity, is about 3 to 4 ppm of the dry diet."  Modern Nutrition in Health
and Disease, 6th edition; by Goodhart and Shils.

The best way to get any minerals into your animal is via feeding them a food
source.  This way their guts can discriminate and reject an overload,
somewhat.

Another way to reduce Se is via an overload of S(Sulphur).  Is there lots of
S in your water - smells like rotten eggs - this might contribute to a
reduced Se absorption.

Otherwise, my guess is that a .09 is normal for Buddy and perhaps the bigger
picture can be reviewed: