[RC] Rider Drugs - apology - k s swigart

indiancp said:

LOL some who love to play the devil's advocate and
some just like to play holier than thou!!

It has come to my attention that some people are of the opinion that I
was boasting or am playing "holier than thou" with my admonition to not
be so cavalier about administering drugs to ourselves in order to
complete endurance rides.

I apologize if I created this impression, it was not my intent. In fact,
it was exactly the opposite.  I mentioned that I have done thousands of
miles of endurance riding without using any drugs to demonstrate that it
can be done, and if I can do it, there is no reason that other people
can't as well.  Unless everybody does believe that I am genetically
superior to everybody else and so am some alien exception, endurance is
entirely doable by the population at large without using drugs.

I am willing to concede the possiblity that I might be genetically
superior to everybody else :), but I am unwilling to claim it for
myself.  I prefer to think that I am NOT an exception, but that it is
within the reach of most people as long as they don't automatically
treat ibuprofen as some sort of essential vitamin.

And, I contend, that most people will be able to do more endurance for
longer if they don't.  Because if you do, you risk having to substitute
Vicodin or other stronger narcotics to manage the pain that has
progressed to the point where OTC NSAIDs are no longer "strong enough"
to do the job, or it gets to the point where you have to hobble around
in the morning for 10-20 minutes before you get "warmed up."

Whatever the case may be.  My intention was not to come off as "holier
than thou." But rather to say, "I ain't so special so you could do it
too."

It is everybody else who is pointing out that I must be some genetic
freak or young enough that I don't know any better.  I prefer to think
that I am just like everybody else, and that everybody else could do the
same as long as they have not already overused their body to the point
of irreparable damage (or are starting out with some serious genetic
disadvantage, I concede that such people also exist, but that THEY are
the exception, not me).

I may be wrong. I might truely be the genetic oddity that many people
seem to think I am.  I hope not.

kat
Orange County, Calif.