RE: [RC] Arabian Definitions - John Teeter

Thanks for the numbers (but I was really looking for something more useful -
(#foals/year) and(#5yr endurance careers  started/yr) - a quantity metric and a
quality metric. You gave numbers only in quantity (w/o stating over what
time-frame - Hyannis bred 425 horse over 20 years? And Hyannis and Lois Russel
are not in the game any more, so Van Guilders, Canyonside, Belesemo and
Sagehill. 4 significant programs which might be looked at more closely.

*Hyannis bred 425 horses.
VanGilders have bred 285.
*Lois Russell bred 147.
Canyonside has bred 102.
Belesemo has bred 89.
Sagehill has bred 80

(*) - no longer active
Would you list for me, the top 10 breeders of endurance mounts in the US
today

Well, as I said above, I won't venture to name them across the US-

But we should be looking across the US, nay across the globe if we are really
looking to understand the direction endurance is taking the bloodlines (which
was the original direction of this discussion). The Shagya's and the
Arabian/StandardBred Crosses. They been breeding for endurance in Uruguay for
40+ years - and Luna Llena (http://www.endurance.net/2005PAC/info.html)
exemplified their programs exceptionally well at the PanAm.

Maybe if I have time this winter I'll try to run some stats for
some of the other programs

Will look forward to the results! should be interesting and useful!

As for lines, the various local variations on Crabbet-plus and pre-WWII
lines predominate pretty much everywhere, from what I can see.  In this
country, the lines that rise to the top in endurance with much more
frequency than they start are CMK, pre-WWII Polish, and various early
desert imports, with a few smatterings of early breeding from other
sources.  In Oz, it's Crabbet/Colonial breeding--much the same thing.
In Europe, Persik is as good an example as any--3/8 Crabbet, 3/8
pre-WWII Polish, and 1/4 pre-WWII French.  The key is the old breeding
before people altered it for "aesthetic" purposes.  And that basic
concept is pretty much in play in top horses world-wide.

The above pretty much summarizes your opinion on the blood-lines question.
Good. It would be nice to hear from others as well. But your basic premise is
clearly stated above.

as to:

The issues regarding riders ARE on point, since breeders cannot
get their horses to the forefront WITHOUT riders.

here is how Haras San Andreas Del Moro deals with that problem -
http://www.endurance.net/2005PAC/gallery/MondayOnTheBeach/pages/IMG_7288.html

Rather than complain that riders aren't buying their (unproven) horses to bring
along, they train/compete their best themselves.

They bring lots of competitors to their rides; They consistently targent them
to competitive  finishes. They compete their offspring themselves at a
significant scale. This, I think, is one of the things that differentiate some
of the various programs around the world. When a significant part of your
program involves the active proving of your offspring, then you begin to shape
your program to the, more controlled, results. If you always sell your 4 year
olds, you loose that next 3 years of controlled feedback on the program - you
disperse your population and allow too many other factors into the equation?

jt.

(I decided just to footnote some of your extraneous comments:

============
... US riders frequently have NO clue about the breeding of the horses they
are riding,

The above is YOUR opinion and does insult the US rider population! shame on
you!! (what was the old finger peeling gesture from grade school??:)

... various breeders who would fancy themselves endurance breeders without
doing the homework.

and pile on an insult to a (large?) group of breeders!

And sadly, John, you are right up there with the majority of riders in
this country.

And a specifically belittling remark targeted a moi'! But I set you up -- while
I'm not a horse guy, I don't really have to be as I rely on my trainer/coach
(i.e. Steph) for mount selection.  So, go ahead, pick on me:) ... but you
should be more careful where you point your stick!!:) - but this is all a
distraction from the main point ...