Re: [RC] Pain Killers and Riding - Karahtykids

In a message dated 8/17/2006 10:30:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Karahtykids writes:
Perhaps Kat should read Phil Gardner's inspiring account of getting his
 10 nth TEVIS buck el last year in Tevis Forum..After brain tumor surgery, fungus invaded his
body, after losing an eye to it, than lung surgery etc he rode in unbelievable pain even
with drugs to get his 10 nth buck el.. Since than he had to have both hips replaced and a shoulder just a few weeks ago, the week before he ran the Forsethill vet check at Robinson Flat giving back to sport he loves so much, He also know the bad end of drugs as that is what destroyed his joints, but that is only drug that they knew would keep him alive so he had NO CHOICE, He stll lives from day today in pain he knows he may face another shoulder
replacement in future.But he has ridden after his hip replacement in May,and he talks about planning to ride Tevis next year,I sure would not deny him that hope even if he needs some drugs, I broke my leg in 1999 was 2nd in Tevis following year with some help from pain killers
along the way as one leg is now little shorter and also gives me a lot of back pain, I was almost 65 then and thing I hated most was not feeling safe enough to help my horse out by running down some canyons. Since than I have had my face broken near lose of eye 3 broken ribs  a few months ago my horse and I were near run down on top of a mountain by guy on ATV, broke my wrist and re broke my ribs. So now and then to feel I ride straighter I
resort to Advil and Vicaden only for race I have kept to use for extreme cases. Many years ago with my first broken ribs I had to ride Swan ton Pacific 100 championship ride against
Becky and Rio the following week took a few Advil than too. But my personal hero is Phil Gardner his desire to keep on riding keeps him alive I'm sure.  Many years ago at AERC convention Dave Nicholson gave a talk on Butte on horses, he said Butt does not make a hose perform better or run faster. I will never forget Smokey Killen standing up and asking"Will
if it don't hurt um and it makes un feel better why can't we give it to um? " We all laughed.
No Dr Nicleson was not recommending giving Butte to our horses,Just talking about some aspects of it.

Dolly DeCair