[RC] 2006 WEC - update Aug17 - Steph Teeter

Not much news, things are going smoothly. Visited the USA barn today, more
people are arriving and the energy level is climbing. Horses still look
great, calm and focused group.

Pamela Burton and I drove out to Soers - the main Stadium venue - she got
her press pass, and then we started our exploration of the vet check at
Drielanderick (litterally 'three lands place' - it's a point on the borders
of Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Gorgeous gorgeous countryside, rolling
with fields and forest, quaint old towns, ancient stone barns and buildings,
lots of cows... really pretty. We found the vetgate relatively easily - it
can be a challenge here because the highway directional signs don't use
directions (N/S/E/W) they just tell you the town that you'll reach if you
turn this/that way - which is pretty meanlingless to perfect strangers, and
depending on whether you're in Belgium, Germany, Netherlands - the towns and
roads might be spelled different, and it can really be a challenge. But we
found the vetgate area. Pretty field surrounded by woods, lots of activity -
tents going up, construction still in progress.

A little time touring the vetgate area and then back out to look for
crewpoints on the trails, and places where we could take good photos. Lots
of guessing, looking at the map, turning the map upside down and looking at
it again, a few wrong (but scenic) turns - but we managed to find our way,
and found lots of trail crossings - for water points, photo ops, etc.

Back to the hotel and then to dinner at a nearby restaurant - good food and
service, nice evening weather so we could sit outside and enjoy the air.

So - Not much news. The list of definite entries is at
http://www.endurance.net/2006wec - 42 countries - this might be the new
'world record' :)  I put up a couple new photo galleries -
http://www.endurance.net/2006wec/gallery.html .

Tomorrow we'll check the trails that we missed today - some more exploring.
Rain in the forcast, might not be as pleasant. but we'll make do :)

-later

Steph