Re: [RC] Things Not to Say to A Horse Owner (More) - Sky Ranch

Same thing here, Chris and Paul,

I'm in *very* rural SW Colorado, often riding down a gravel road to local BLM land.  I have a white helmet on, riding a somewhat prancy Arabian, and a strange-looking endurance saddle (i.e., no horn).  My horse has a red biothane halter/bridle combo, matching red breast collar, matching red saddle packs - front and back.  Trucks go by, with pipeline workers, ranchers, irrigation workers -- they must be thinking, what in the world is THAT?  (But I do wear jeans - haven't gotten tights yet... Wal-Mart "Riders" are very comfortable, and only about $17.00)

We are not your usual sight around here, where most people you see riding horses are herding cows down the roads.  Happily, there are still cattle drives down our roads, going to and from the mountain pastures.  It's a real push to get the cattle down before the hunting (rifle) season starts.  In the spring they're all going the opposite direction, sure is fun to watch and I don't mind the delay.  Especially since the kids are the "extra" riders, on very sweet and gentle ranch bred horses.

It's always nice to see kids on horses.  Maybe only 1 out of 10 will continue to ride when they're "grown-ups" but I'm one of those 1 in 10 from yesteryear, that's still riding.

Carla Richardson
Colorado