Re: [RC] ridecamp reaction to Truman's comments - Truman Prevatt

Jody,

It's absolutely irrelevant if I would do a 100 for a medallion or not. It' absolutely irrelevant if you would do a 100 for a medallion - you would ride them without a medallion. The reason I've been dead set opposed to Angie's medallions as an AERC program is it is a feel good program that will probably do nothing to turn the loss of riders around. What it will do is to take the heat off a) finding out why we are where we are (why aren't there more people that feel as you do?) and b) once the cause has been found designing a program that has a chance of turning it around.

Contrary to what some of my detractors what to say - I would like nothing better than see the 100 mile entries grow. Angie's medallions won't do that and when they don't we'll be down to 800 starts (600 if you take out the Tevis) with 3/4's accounted for by 5 rides. Last year close to 50% were accounted for by 5 large rides and guess what 4 (excluding the Tevis) were FEI.

Either the AERC is serious about preserving the 100 mile ride for non-FEI interest or not. From what I have seen over the past 3 years - we've been talking about this for over 3 years - they are not. I suspect at the end of the year we will find the 100's have declined again over last years all time low. I can tell you that while the SE has managed to escape much of the decline in the past - they won't this year and we have already lost one ride this year (we probably won't get back anytime soon) and we will lose another one next year. Right now that loss is only for a year but who knows.

The problem seems to almost be getting to a critical mass stage and all we have at the AERC level is Angie's medallions which are tabled.

When the rubber meets the road what counts is the numbers - and the numbers don't look all that good. The numbers get ride managers to start new rides and not drop old rides. The numbers are just not there right now.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

Truman, just because you wouldn't do a 100 mile ride for a medallion, doesn't mean that some of us wouldn't. I don't think it is a bad idea. At least it would be ALL endurance.

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics