Re: [RC] ridecamp reaction to Truman's comments - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The reason I've been dead set opposed to Angie's medallions as an AERC program is it is a feel good program that will probably do nothing to turn the loss of riders around.

Truman, aren't ALL awards a feel good program of some kind????

Contrary to what some of my detractors what to say - I would like
nothing better than see the 100 mile entries grow.

Then we somehow need to be the importantance back into the 100 mile horse and rider.  I think that someone mentioned the goal of another ride like the old ROC.  That might help it along, but that is not happening anytime soon.  I am doing all I can to support the 100's here.  But, I am only one (well two if you count Joni) person.  I personally think that the general public of endurance does not see the sport the same way as us old folks do.  I know that someone said in a post earlier that we old endurance riders looked down on the newbies.  That is NOT true.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  We were new to the sport at some time too.  But what this old group is not embracing, is the "anything goes" and call it endurance attitude.  And I have done my share of trying to bring people to a higher distance.

Either the AERC is serious about preserving the 100 mile ride for
non-FEI interest or not. From what I have seen over the past 3 years -
we've been talking about this for over 3 years - they are not.

Maybe this is something of a regional affect.  For instance, the bunch out west,  the PS and the West regions that have adopted an incentive program seem to be having tons of success.  So, if AERC is not going to focus on the 100, looks like the regional groups may have to.  And that is what you have attempted to do.  But, the program is not being welcomed because of the joining the endurance with the CTR.  If it is going to create such discord now, why not listen to what the general membership says.  The last thing that we need is to run off what few 100 mile riders/horses we have in the SE.  I see that happening.  People are not going to join SERA if they are going to have to pay extra for the joint SERA/SEDRA membership. Plus, the idea of the CTR miles being counted in the 100 mile program is a step toward counting any miles less than 50 in a day.  That could include LD. What difference is there between the two???  Both could be used for building up to a higher distance.  Do we want to let LD miles count toward the 100 mile program????   I know I don't.  The 100 miler rides will die off like you said, and we 100 mile riders will be going to other regions to get our 100's and joining their clubs.

Jody

Do you Yahoo!?