[RC] Stirring up a hornet's nest! - Rob Losey

Stirring up a hornet's nest!

Hi, guess what I just did that was a new and interesting experience. Once a year, around the 1st of July, I brushhog the pasture and fields. It removes the weed, helps the grasses grow, and seem to cut down on the bugs. I can only get within 8" of the fence. That leaves a 16" tuft under the fence. So once a year I pull out the weed whacker. It probably doesn't need to be done, but it makes the place look nicer.  I weed whack the fence line.

That's what I've been doing that last 4 day in this heat. I discovered something. Ground hornet don't like weed whackers, or the guy who is running it. I found that out Tuesday morning. Got nailed 19 times, and a small cut in my leg. I learnt a few thing though. 1) If this happens you  first drop your weed whacker and run like heck. Not a good idea if the weed whacker is still running, and attached by a strap around your neck. 2) It takes two days for the pain to go away, and longer for the swelling.

Good part is I got stung mostly in the arms and the swelling makes me look like I've been lifting weights. :-) Bad part is I got stung alot in the belly and the swelling make me look like I've been drinking alot of beer. :-(

Now does anyone know the best way to get rid of a ground hornet nest?