[RC] Office making AERC rules - was "[RC] Unsponsored Juniors Responses" - Diane Trefethen

Michael Maul wrote:
In addition - the Junior can change their status to unsponsored anytime in the year. Adults cannot do that. They can make a change in wt or region only until June 1. After that - it's unchangeable. If for example you lose weight and drop below a minimum - you *have* to carry weight to make the minimum.

I am glad you brought up these two points. Your statement is a great example of what has become a real problem with our office staff - namely that they have taken it upon themselves to ignore our Rule Book and make up new rules to suit their own convenience. In my opinion, the BOD needs to demand that the office refrain from usurping its authority and that of the membership.

You have cited two rules that DO NOT EXIST, except in the AERC OFFICE.

1) You said that a senior "can make a change in wt ... only until June 1.
After that - it's unchangeable."
There is no such rule. The office made it up. The only references in our rules to June 1 pertain to moving from one region to another.

2) You said, "If ... you lose weight and drop below a minimum - you *have*
to carry weight to make the minimum."
   This is ALSO not in our Rule Book.  There is a big difference between
rules, which specify requirements or guidelines and rules which specify
the procedures to be followed when such requirements have not been met.
All Rule 8.5.2 and its subsections do is state the requirements for a rider
to stay in each weight division.  Our rules DO NOT HAVE any procedures
for allowing a person to remain in a weight division once he/she no longer
meets the requirements for that division.  Because the rules contain no
provision for allowing a rider to remain in a weight division, the only
reasonable assumption is that it is the intent of the rules that such a
person drop down to the division for which he/she is qualified.  For the
office staff to arbitrarily assume that such a person is entitled to stay
in his/her weight division and then make up rules to effect that decision,
is completely outside the boundaries of its authority.  If we, the AERC
membership, wish to add to the rules additional provisions to allow a rider
to continue in the same division, ie, add weights, we certainly have the
right to do that.  However, the OFFICE does not have the right to IMPOSE
such a rule.  Only we, through our BOD, may do that.