RE: [RC] Physics - heidi

Sure it does, Bruce.  But given the mechanical advantage of the dolly, she CAN move twice as much with only a little bit more work.  That's the POINT.  Heck, I can move a refrigerator on a dolly, and I can't even pick one up.  Which means that given a mechanical advantage (such as a horse has with its system of levers), even though the amount of work increases, the increase is neglibible compared to the many other factors that the horse faces at an endurance ride.

Let's say kat has to move a FW rider who tacks in at 145 lbs on her dolly, and then she has to move you on her dolly, who by your statements tack in at 235.  Since she has to move the dolly, too (sort of like tack), let's add in that weight.  (She said it weighed 20 lbs.)  By my calculator, that's a little shy of being 55% more.  But because the dolly has such a good mechanical advanage, she can do so without expending near as much extra work as she would have to do if she tried to pick both of you up.

In fact, she might be somewhat challenged to pick either of you up, and likely couldn't carry either one of you very far, whereas she could probably get both of you to the barn with ease on her dolly.  And she could probably move the refrigerator I mentioned, too, without undue stress or strain--and it weighs a whole lot more than you do.

The fact that the design of the dolly minimizes the amount of work done, even though there is an increase when you move more weight, is no different from the fact that the design of the horse minimizes the amount of work done.  The POINT is that even though there is an increase, it is minimal compared to the other things that a horse encounters in the course of traveling over distance aerobically carrying a rider.   The POINT is that you can't just look at x number of pounds and say "oh, this will require y more work."  You have to consider the mechanical efficiency of the device (in this case the horse) that is doing the work.

Heidi

Kat said:

"So any body who says "More weight equals more work as an object is moved. Just Physics, just the facts." doesn't have a very good understanding of physics."
  That's really odd. I have heard professional physicists and biomechanics experts say essentially those very words. Should we tell them to start workin' on their resume`s? Kat, it's no point of contention that a dolly or a lever or a cart can help lessen the effort of moving a given weight,as compared to lifting or moving it unaided. But if you use a lever or a dolly to move 50 lbs, you will use more effort to move 100 lbs. with the same device.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=