[RC] Weight - Bruce Weary DC

 Joe, that is a very good question, and I don't consider it nasty at all. Please don't ever feel you can't ask me a question, even if it is on a controversial subject. I'm very comfortable saying "I don't know" or "I was wrong." Having said that, your question made me really ponder, and I can't speak for everyone, but I suppose I would say that significant additional weight has so much to do with the work the horse has to do to cover ground, which is really what endurance riding is all about. He really only needs to carry the weight of a jockey to have a person aboard to tell him what to do. Any weight over that, and I'm talking about the weight of the rider that can't be appreciably changed, inadvertently penalizes the horse who is expected to have similar working heart rates, recoveries, soundness, metabolic heat, hydration and other factors while traveling at the same speeds over the same terrain. These factors are the very tools we use to measure how hard a horse is working in the first place. The CRI is tied directly to heart rate, it's recovery and fatigue/exhaustion. Some horses can indeed condition up and overcome the added weight and compete as if it isn't there. Some can't. But, none of the lighter weight division horses ever have to deal with 80-100 lbs of additional weight. If those horses have trouble with recoveries or work tolerance, too much weight isn't a possible suspected cause.  It is a constant, additional factor present for a heavyweight, by definition, that is never present for a lightweight. All riders, including heavyweights, are subject to the other factors you mentioned--rider age, horse age, horse size, etc.,. Except for rider age ( which can't be changed, but isn't a limiting factor in itself--infirmity can happen at any age) most of the rest of the factors can be changed through strategy or getting a different horse. If our horse has a limiting attribute we can live with it or change mounts. That part of the paying field, is, I think, level.
  I understand your point. I don't think specific attributes should be singled out for special dispensation or recognition, but I think a strong case can be built that says unavoidable significant weight carried adds to the difficulty of the horse doing his job as he competes against other horses not so burdened. Until someone shows us that with the other variables controlled weight doesn't really matter, I guess that will be my position. If I'm proven wrong, I'll have a good cry and shut up about it. I do think we could go back to three weight divisions, though.
    We could ask ourselves at what point weight does matter. You can conceivably put enough weight on a horse that he stops, his legs quiver, and he collapses. We had a horse death this year wherein a horse suffered a spontaneous spinal fracture and died, while carrying a very heavy rider.
  These are extremes, but extremes are reached incrementally. My experience tells me very clearly that a heavyweight horse has to do more just to keep up, much less excel. Truth be known, I actually like the extra challenge of dealing with it. I have never complained about it. I have been getting several  personal emails from riders who basically agree that weight matters, as well.
   Maybe we can get some more perspective from other heavyweights?  Dr Q, who must go to lunch now.