RE: [RC] Weight - heidi

We would ALL be going slower if we did not do those things.  The reason why we have weight divisions is because people want their efforts to be recognized--and by doing so, we can hand out more awards and recognize more people.

I don't believe for one minute that the best FWs, LWs, and MWs work any less hard than Earle.  And yet he still continues to beat them--precisely BECAUSE weight is such a small factor in the overall scheme of things in this sport.

Heidi

    Hi Chrystal--
 Weight clearly isn't the only factor. Not even the most important factor. It can be overcome, but it takes extra effort to do so. That is why we have weight divisions, to recognize the extra effort that it takes. Like the extra effort Earle has put in through conditioning, good riding strategies and developing a particular line of tough horse-- the Arab/Standardbred cross. If he did not do these things, he would be going slower, for sure. I'm not saying extra weight precludes a heavyweight from succeeding. But it is significantly harder to do so than if the horse is carrying 80-100 pounds less. That's all I'm saying, and all I have ever said. I even think we should have fewer weight divisions. People like your friend who won BC are directly motivated to think it doesn't take extra effort, because the very point system that recognizes the extra effort appears to make it harder for her to win a BC. She can still win it. She just has to go faster, and gain more points on finish time. That doesn't usually occur to people in that position. They think they already went fast enough. Just like I think carrying 175 lbs is already enough. But I'm carrying 235. See what I mean?  Dr Q

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=