RE: [RC] RE Physics of Weight - Paul Sidio

Joe said:
"Doesn't apply.  Track racing is an aerobic activity, done on a flat
groomed surface.  Endurance riding is an anaerobic activity, done on
technical courses which are neither flat nor groomed.  HUGE
difference."

Well it has been a long time since I took physics and maybe some rules have changed.   So I went upstairs and got on the bathroom scale.  Son of a gun. my aerobic weight (breathing in and out) was the same as my anarerobic   (holding my breath until  I turned blue)  weight. (dang!!)
This experiment leads me to conclude (sadly I might add) that no matter if you are breathing or not breathing, gravity still sucks. Breathing or not breathing does not seem to affect gravity.

Emboldened by this scientific discovery, I moved on to further and more pertinant study of this vital issue. I designed an experiment to study the effects of weight at  different distances and on flat surfaces and on hilly surfaces. Be carefull, we are dealing with science here.

I picked up a ten pound supplement bucket and ran 1/4 of a mile down the relativitly (I had to work that word into  any physics discussion) flat road. It felt lousy.  After a recovery time, then I put a 50 pound feed sack on my shoulders and duplicated that same 1/4 mile run.... It felt worse.... without a huge budget for instrumentation to accurately measure how much worse it felt, we are left with a ballpark phrase of " lots worse"

Again after a longer recovery period I took the 10 pound supplement bucket and ran down a steep hill in my pasture  and then back up to the barn.  Again , as I am not a fully trained scientist, and am working with limited resources here, I  cannot accurately measure the amounts we are dealing with here, but Instead of "lousy" Or "Lots worse", the hill experiment resulted in " bent over gasping for breath with head between the legs , and wanting to puke, but too tired to do so.". Now some more nit picky people would want to more accurately measure heart rate etc.. but for our purposes this will have to do.

After a still longer recovery period, I put the 50 pound feed sack on my shoulders  and ran down the steep hill.... however the experiment was terminated about 20 feet going back up the hill..... I  dropped the feed sack, lay there gasping for oxygen  on the ground until  I got my wind back and then went to the barn for my four wheeler... ...And they say Galileo suffered for science? I never saw any paintings of him running up  and down hills...

This experiment leads me to the conclusion that weight does matter over distance. We can compensate for this it through training and preparation, but gravity never quits. It doesn't care what muscles you use and for how long and if you are on the flat or in the hills... gravity sucks.

You may attempt to duplicate this experiment on your own.... however do so at your own risk.... with adult supervison..... but not your spouse... he/she already thinks you are crazy for doing endurance riding. ....he/she doesn't need to see you doing this.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO