[RC] dealing with physical characteristics - Jennifer Adam

Sorry guys - can't resist adding my 2 cents again.

In any sport - any! - participants must make adjustments based on their own bodies if they want to be really competitive. After all, that is what training and conditioning and practice are meant to do - they help the athlete make the most of their bodies. Athletes who are strong but not so fast train to increase their speed; athletes who are fast but not so strong must train with weights if they want to increase their potential. You get the point. Horseback riding is no different. Anyone can participate, and that's the beauty of it - but if you want to be really competitive you might have to make certain adjustments and sacrifices. Heavy riders must make adjustments, certainly - choosing horses that can carry them comfortably, paying close attention to their riding and saddle choice, etc. Perhaps they must spend more time running alongside their horse - but that is part of the game! I am a featherweight rider - but don't think I don't have to make adjustments, too! I am not strong enough to hold back a super fresh horse and I will not hang on to a horse's mouth - so I must spend extra time making darn sure my horse will respond to my light cues even in the midst of chaos. (Why my mustang and I are still training and haven't done our first 50 yet). You spend extra attention on weight issues - I spend extra time building respect. I condition myself as I condition my horse - I am exercising to build my strength. I've had two major surgeries and must work to overcome the problems they left me with - but that is part of the game. I have trouble with heat exhaustion and fatigue - but that's part of the game. I know that if I want to ever be competitive it is going to be up to me to make myself the best I can be. Okay, maybe it is easier for my horse because I don't weigh as much as other riders, but that doesn't mean I have some sort of unfair advantage! I'm certainly not trying to cheat just because I was born a bean pole! And believe me - I would love to be able to compete on a level field. I hate being made to feel like I'm too skinny. I'll add weight if that's what it takes.

If you feel like your horse is at a disadvantage because of your weight, then take responsibility for your performance and do something about it. I feel like my horse is at a disadvantage because of my size and lack of strength - so I'm doing something about it.

With great respect for ALL riders and their horses,
Jen Adam