[RC] What Frank Said..... - Bruce Weary

Frank said what I have essentially failed to communicate about weight. I'm not saying significant extra weight is insurmountable.* It can be overcome*. But it has to be done with methods that aren't usually as much of an issue for lightweight riders. Hiking/ tailing, conditioning harder, addressing greater cooling needs, walking in to vet checks, pacing,.... These are tools anyone can use to help their horse overcome all the challenges our horses meet. Even the lightweight rider who gets off now and then gives the horse a break from their lesser weight. As far as a heavyweight giving his horse a break, the horse is being relieved of not only carrying a greater weight, but on the downhill, there is even more muscular relief to be had on the muscles of the legs, as they absorb most of the concussion through eccentric contraction, and protect the bones and joints that absorb the rest. These energy drains are, again, lessened with a lightweight rider.
Everyone seems to agree that a horse carrying a heavier rider will achieve a higher level of fitness, evidenced by Marlene's comment that initial heart rates of different weighted horses are different, but approach one another with conditioning. This is also supported by the assertion that a horse conditioned by a heavyweight but ridden by a lightweight would have an advantage. This higher level of ability to do work must occur, as I have been trying to say, *because the heavyweight horse works harder* not only during his conditioning, but every time he carries a heavyweight rider. If he is conditioned properly, he can overcome the weight difference, and be competitive. This is a greater task for the horse than if he were carrying less weight, if only due to the inherent risk of lameness from carrying more weight. I think even Susan G found that. A lightweight horse, by definition, isn't working as hard when carrying a lightweight rider, in terms of calories burned, energy spent, weight carried, concussion absorbed, metabolic heat produced etc.,.
Many factors require our attention in getting our horses ready for endurance riding. Weight is one of them. Maybe we could put this all in perspective by assigning a point system (arbitrary though it would be) to all the identifiable factors that can add or subtract from the horse's ability to perform in endurance. For example, Arabs dominate this sport, so the genetic attributes from the get-go might rank a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. Conditioning might be a 6, proper saddle fit a 4, weight a 9 (just kidding), and so forth.
I have taken up way too much screen time expressing my opinions on this matter. I would be genuinely be interested in what parameters many of you out there feel are important, how you would rank them in order of importance, and why. I think I'll just sit back now and get ready to learn.
Thanks for putting up with me so far. Dr Q, who is now wifeless for the next four days, and confused about how to actually purchase and assemble food...............