[RC] Weight - Bruce Weary

I don't follow your logic on a lot of those things, Heidi. Tights are comfortable, yes, and so are my leather chaps. Ariat boots are just as comfortable as tennis shoes, and give better support. I don't really think that people choose the weight of a saddle primarily because of the effort it takes to lift it onto the horse. At least I've never heard anyone say that was their prime motive. A nice side benefit, perhaps. Leather can be waterproof and handy also. I think you're dancing around the obvious. If we can get these qualities in lighter equipment, we'll take it. Weight is important to every rider. And it's important because everyone knows it makes a difference. Oh, and personal experience is limited, not universal. There are plenty of riders out there riding in light saddles that are hurting their horse's back. Some actually don't opt for the heavier, better fitting saddle. As an aside, one of the sales facts offered with almost any saddle out there, is how much it weighs. I think we have a case of the Emperor's new clothes here. Everyone wantst their horse to carry as light a weight as possible, but some are unwilling to admit that significant additional weight makes for significantly greater effort on behalf of the horse. I guess I just can't walk out to the corral, look my horse in the eye, and say "Sure it's Tevis, but quit your squawkin'..... It's only an extra 75 pounds."
You tellin' me there are FEI riders adding weight up to 235? Count me in! My horse and I are already used to that. Dr Q, who could really go for a grilled cheese right now